Type of Final Thesis:
Supervisor: Benjamin Sturm, Mikael Beyene
Research Group: Critical Information Infrastructures
Archive Number: 4.880
Status of Thesis: Open
Date of start: 2022-03-17
The digital transformation of German small and medium sized craft businesses (e.g., roofers, barbers, plumbers, carpenters, bakers, mechanics) is creating IT security challenges. The digitization of data and processes is delegated to individual actors without expert training. In addition, there is a prevalent critical attitude toward digital innovations and a lack of understanding of the need for IT security solutions, which is why only a few craft businesses use available IT security solutions. However, in order to seize the opportunities of the digital transformation, the challenges must be addressed and overcome by finding new and user-friendly solutions, particularly for IT security.
To this end, the cii research group investigates artificial-intelligence-based solutions (e.g., an intelligent IT security assistant) that help to capture IT security needs and preferences and to generate individual recommendations that will enable small and medium sized craft businesses to make competent and independent IT security decisions.
Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
- Design, develop and test graphical user interfaces for a) capturing the IT infrastructure of small and medium sized businesses, b) identifying IT-security preferences and c) presenting recommended actions.
- Design, develop and test an AI based system to recommend individual courses of action for improving the IT-security level of small and medium sized businesses.
- Implement and empirically investigate the suitability of different anonymization techniques for collecting and using application usage data.
- Review and assess the suitability of existing IT-security ontologies for representing current information security management standards.
This is an umbrella topic since topics of interest change rapidly. Students are encouraged to propose a topic that is of interest to them within the topic area. The thesis allows you to gain a broad and deep knowledge in artificial intelligence and to make a significant contribution towards a scientifically sound fundament.
- Belciug, S. & Gorunescu, F. (2020). Intelligent Decision Support Systems—A Journey to Smarter Healthcare / by Smaranda Belciug, Florin Gorunescu.
- Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik. (2019b, März). IT-Grundschutz-Profil für Handwerksbetriebe. Zugriff am 11.1.2021. Verfügbar unter: https://www.bsi.bund.de/SharedDocs/Downloads/DE/BSI/Grundschutz/Hilfsmittel/Profile/Profil_Handwerksbetriebe.pdf?__blob=publicationFile&v=5
- Russell, S. & Norvig, P. (2009). Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach (3rd Edition.). Pearson.