Postdoc (f/m/d) in Semantic Web, Machine Learning, and/or Natural Language Processing
KIT is one of the world’s leading research institutions in the field of technology. The Web Science research group at the KIT Institute AIFB is known worldwide for its research in the field of knowledge representation and, under the direction of Dr. Färber, deals with data science topics. The research group’s focus is on the development and application of artificial intelligence (AI) methods. The core topics include the semantic representation of knowledge through knowledge graphs, machine learning (e.g. for search and recommendation systems), natural language processing, the combination of knowledge graphs with machine learning or natural language processing, and the Internet of Things.
The methods are developed, among other things, to support digitization in companies through intelligent systems. The focus is also on the implementation of the FAIR principles, the support of scientists, and AI-based science communication. Examples of this are recommendation systems for scientific publications and the creation of scholarly knowledge graphs. The research group works closely with the Information Process Engineering (IPE) research division of the FZI Research Center for Computer Science (FZI). There are also numerous connections to national and international research institutions and companies.
For our team at the “Web Science” chair, we are looking for a postdoc with the following tasks:
- Performing own research in at least one of the following areas: Semantic Web (e.g., knowledge graphs), machine learning (e.g., deep learning), natural language processing.
- Co-supervision of PhD students on the above-mentioned subject areas.
- Acquisition of third-party funded research projects.
- Project management and collaboration in national and international projects.
- Participation in teaching (e.g., lectures in English for bachelor's and master's degree programs; lectures in German a plus).
- Presentation of research results and prototypes in the context of publications and talks at national and international level.
- PhD in computer science, computational linguistics, mathematics, or a related subject.
- Expertise in the field of semantic web, machine learning, and/or natural language processing.
- Expertise in graph neural networks is desirable, but not a prerequisite.
- A high degree of personal responsibility, motivation, commitment, and excellent teamwork skills.
- Very good knowledge of English and presentation skills.
We offer you an attractive and modern workplace with access to the excellent equipment of the KIT and the university chair, a varied and responsible job with an open and pleasant working atmosphere, a wide range of advanced training options as well as an additional pension according to VBL, flexible working time models, a subsidy for the JobTicket BW, and a canteen.
Salary: The remuneration occurs on the basis of the wage agreement of the civil service in TV-L (E13, 100%; around € 75,000 gross per year). Relevant work experience can be taken into account.
Contract duration: Initially limited to up to two years (option to extend).
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Application up to: June 30, 2021. Later applications can be taken into account where applicable.
For technical information, please contact Dr.-Ing. Michael Färber (michael faerber∂kit edu).
Please send your detailed application with cover letter, academic CV, list of publications, and copies of degrees and certificates in one PDF file to Beate Kühner (kuehner∂kit edu) and Dr.-Ing. Michael Färber (michael faerber∂kit edu).
We prefer to balance the number of female and male employees. Therefore, we kindly encourage female applicants to apply for this job.
Recognized severely disabled persons will be preferred if they are equally qualified.
KIT is certified as a family-friendly university (familienfreundliche Hochschule) and offers part-time employment, leaves for family-related reasons, dual career options, and individual coaching for family-work balance.
Postdocs / Project Managers / Scientific Assistants